The Qajuqturvik Food Centre (QFC) seeks a Sous Chef for its facility in the heart of Iqaluit as it transitions into Nunavut’s first Community Food Centre, in partnership with Community Food Centres Canada (CFCC). This is a full-time position with a competitive salary. The QFC is a registered charity that conducts varied programming with the aim of addressing the causes and effects of food insecurity on Iqalummiut and the community of Iqaluit as a whole. One branch of this is the Inclusion Café, a social enterprise that trains underemployed community members to work in commercial kitchens to meet a large demand in the private sector.
The Sous Chef operates under the direction of the Head Chef and is responsible for:
- cooking for daily meals and catering events;
- managing inventory;
- ensuring that health and safety protocols are followed;
- interacting with guests, cleaning, directing volunteers and other staff; and
- following course materials to conduct training with participants.
Other duties will be assigned by the board of directors as the mission and scope of the QFC continues to evolve.
The ideal candidate will have a combination of the following:
- the ability to work in a fast-paced, high-volume commercial kitchen, and to engage comfortably and appropriately with volunteers and guests of the free daily meal;
- experience working with vulnerable populations, including conflict resolution and de-escalation;
- Red Seal Chef certification or a similar combination of education and experience;
- knowledge and interest in further understanding Nunavut (past and present) and Inuit culture; and
- experience teaching/instructing culinary courses.
This position is subject to a criminal record check, a child abuse register check and proof of education. Candidates must currently live in or be willing to relocate to Iqaluit, and only applicants already eligible to work in Canada will be considered. To better serve our clientele, preference will be given to Inuit applicants. Fluency in Inuktitut is an asset.
Salary: $60,000 + $15,000 Northern Allowance
To apply, please submit a letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not hesitate to inquire in advance if you have any questions or concerns about the position. Only those candidates being considered will be contacted.
Open until filled